Object Detail


Maker and Role
James Dixon & Sons (estab. 1806, closed Post 1887), Manufacturer
Description
Powder flasks were sold at a variety of prices. This was a relatively expensive “medallion” style flask. These flasks were distinguished by the presence of a circular medallion which was applied to the surface of the flask after it had been constructed. Medallions were usually highly detailed and could be made from precious metals. The medallion on this flask is made of copper and depicts a hunter with a dead deer slung across his horse. Because of the copper material, this flask would not have been as expensive as other James Dixon & Sons items that were decorated with Britannia metal or silver medallions. The Sheffield business was well-known for its manufacture of high-end powder flasks throughout the nineteenth century.

Gunpowder was sold in bulk and gunpowder flasks were used to carry gunpowder when out in the field.
Date
1835-1841
Currently on Display
No
Object No
97.12.102

 Share