Copper, brass, iron
8 1/2 x 3 1/4 x 1 1/2" (21.6 x 8.3 x 3.8cm)
“Dolphin” flasks were some of the rarer types of powder flasks produced during the nineteenth century. These flasks were only made by the Sheffield, England business Bartram & Co. The company was founded in 1851 by William Bartram and operated until 1892. Bartram & Co. manufactured a wide variety of powder flasks but was best known for this distinctive design. The intertwined dolphins were also popularly referred to as “sea monsters.”
Gunpowder was sold in bulk and gunpowder flasks were used to carry gunpowder when out in the field.