Object Detail


Maker and Role
James Dixon & Sons (estab. 1806, closed Post 1887), Manufacturer
Description
Some of the earliest metal powder flasks had bag shapes like this item. The shape also proved one of the most consistently popular with customers over time. This flask was made by James Dixon & Sons during the latter half of the nineteenth century. Bag-shaped flasks held less powder than standard pear-shaped containers and were often sold to be used specifically with pistols.

Gunpowder was sold in bulk and gunpowder flasks were used to carry gunpowder when out in the field.
Collection
DuPont Museum Collection
Date
Circa 1851-1879
Currently on Display
No
Object No
54G1/G76-381

 Share